Thursday, July 9, 2009

What a GLORIOUS day!


I know I am two days late on this but I wanted to share anyway -- you all know about Griffin's food allergies and how we have always had to be so careful to avoid anything that he was allergic to. For the past 5 years this has meant that he had to be "different" from other kids at mealtime. I've done my best to make sure that he never felt overly segregated but it has always bothered me -- much more than him -- that he has never been able to eat a birthday cake at a party or have pizza with everyone else. I have always provided "Griffin's version" of every special event food under the sun. Well Tuesday we got the tremendous news that he has finally OUTGROWN HIS MILK ALLERGY!!!! Yay! He was so excited and the first thing he asked for was ice cream like Carson's... which is just regular old Blue Bell but something that has always been off limits to him. We raced right home from the doctors office and I made him a huge ice cream sundae, complete with chocolate, WHIPPED CREAM and his favorite cherry on top. I even videotaped the first bite --which earned two thumbs up from Griffin! I realize that in the grand scheme of things, we have been so blessed to only have a few food allergies to deal with -- there are certainly many more sinister things that we could have been handed and I have always been very thankful that God gave us something that was manageable. Still...as a Mommy, It has always broken my heart a little to watch my sweet baby eat different things from the other kids and ask his brother what cheese tastes like and wonder if he would ever get to eat what the other kids eat. He is still allergic to eggs but we can certainly work around that for another year. Tonight I am just so very greatful that my baby boy has taken a giant step toward being able to be just like everyone else. And I am enjoying watching him try new foods as much as he is enjoying having his culinary world opened up to him. My heart is just bursting with joy that he will be able to start kindergarten this fall and be able to eat pizza with all the other kids. God is good and this is just a small bit of proof.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How great is that. It is amazing how something that seems so small (in the grand scheme of things) to one person is life changing to another.I am so thankful to God that he has outgrown his milk allergy. No more having to take cupcakes to birthday parties that are made just for him. I am so excited! God is good and I am so happy for you and him.

    Maybe if he gets to eat huge sundaes all the time, he will get some meat on him. He is tiny!

    ReplyDelete