Saturday, August 1, 2009

And this is where it starts.....


This may be your very first glimpse of the epicenter of a Texas Male's lifelong obsession with football. I will admit that I have lots of reservations about this whole thing. He's only 7. The coaches are way too serious about it. The mom's are a little too rabid... and they want to have practice 3 times a week for 2 hours!!! THEY ARE ONLY SEVEN. If any of those folks get ahold of this I will be shunned, I'm sure. Everyone knows that any Texas woman worth a can of Aquanet wants her boys to play football as soon as they can walk. It's no secret that football in Texas outranks nearly everything else on the scale of vitalness to life. We HAVE to play football here - it's what we do. There are movies and tv shows about it just to prove the point.
There is a part of me that is a little proud and excited that one of my boys is trying football on for the first time, but the bigger part of me is concerned that it is going to be too much too soon and that it will not be a positive experience for my guy. Big Daddy even signed on to be an asst. coach in order to keep some kind of lid on the mania. It's a big commitment for the whole family but commit we did so we will ride it out and see where we end up. So far he loves it and can't wait to get to practice but we'll see how this all works out when school starts.
FYI his team is the Bobcats Black (there is also a Bobcats Blue) and he is being trained to be a wide receiver. We explained that wide receivers get a lot of glory and they also get to run a LOT which is something our little Forrest Gump just loves to do. When we told him that if he ran fast enough he wouldn't spend so much time eating the turf, he was all over it. No matter how he actually plays I'm proud of him for just trying it... and I WILL be getting a Bobcats shirt with "bling" on it and my baby's number on the back -- if I'm going to do it, I"m going to do it right!
He does look awfully cute in his uniform!!!

1 comment:

  1. He does look cute in his uniform. I do agree with the thought that he is a little young but that is the mommy coming out in me.

    What is a Bobcats shirt without a little bling on it?

    ReplyDelete