Wednesday, December 30, 2009

DAY TWO

Well, I know Heather is waiting for some extreme wackiness but I'm at the end of a drug cycle so I feel somewhat lucid right now. However, take heart because my pain meds are causing me to itch all over so the Dr. told me to start taking Benadryl with it... I can only assume that that will get us closer to what you are expecting. I will say that I actually wrote a post at 4am that could have been good but I accidentally deleted it trying to post it... that was probably for the best.

Ok, I'm halfway through the day and 24 hours post surgery. On a scale of things I would be willing to have done again - I rate this above gum graft, herina repair, Tim's rotator cuff and root canal but I have to place it below c-section because at least then I got a new baby which is always good...plus I think I got more sympathy for that. I haven't had ice cream because it just does not sound good. I have had a popsicle, more mashed potato soup, apple sauce and some very overcooked cream of wheat (Spongebob brand - it was all we had) I have rejected numerous suggestions from Tim who is doing his best but doesn't seem to be grasping the fact that I have loose and raw meat flapping around in my throat. I am currently working up my nerve to try a little bit of very well cooked mac and cheese but I'm not sure I like the looks of it... it may still be too sharp.

So, I read a lot more about folks who had the same procedure that I had which is called the coblation method and what I have learned is that up to day 4 things are way better for the lucky people who have their tonsils out this way. Around day 4 is when the scabbing begins and sometimes people slack off on the hydration and the pain meds and that is when things go to hell on a zip sled -- I can assure you that I will continue to drink mass quantities and take my meds as ordered and hopefully I will be one of the lucky few to say it wasn't that bad.

Last thought for now: I have decided to change my goal for this whole thing from "I just want to make it out alive" to " I want to show my wimpy brother in law how easy this is so that he will just go ahead and do it already!" FYI: he needs his tonsils out worse than anyone I have ever known but he is scared to do it. I figure if it's not too bad for me, it will be relatively easy to shame him into it in 2010! (Right Amanda?)

Last, last thought: Tim is really doing a great job taking care of me and the boys with only one working arm. I've caught him without his sling a lot the last 24 hours and I'm afraid he is going to set himself back trying to do too much. If any of you calls the house, would you PLEASE encourage him to be kinder to his own system? thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Bring on the Benadryl. Okay all sillyness aside, I am glad that you are getting a little bit to eat. What do you think about some slushies? I bet they would be nice and cool on your scabbing and itching throat.

    I am sure that Kevin does need his tonsils out. That guy has so many nose/throat related issues.

    Anyway, glad you have almost made it through day #2. For some inspiration, go check out Nate. He has an incredible story to tell, plu he just had this done recently.

    http://cfhusband.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete